The Yarra Valley was Victoria’s first wine growing district – with a history stretching back nearly 180 years. Vines were first planted in 1838 by the Ryrie brothers, on their property known today as Chateau Yering. Viticulture spread rapidly through the 1860s and 1870s, lead by the early settlers including the de Castella and de Pury families, who were exporting local wines to the British and European markets and were winning awards around the world. However, increased demand for fortified wine saw Yarra Valley wine production cease in 1921. Replanting began in the late 1960s and by the early 1990s and the area under vine passed the high point of the 19th century.
The region has continued to play an important role in agricultural berry and fruit production along with its acclaimed reputation for cool climate wines. It remains Victoria’s premier food and wine tourism destination owed to it natural beauty flanked by the Great Dividing Range.