Charter Flights to Loxton, SA
From Adelaide International Airport, to a town on the bank of the Murray in South Australia; this week we found ourselves in Loxton, SA.
It’s near Renmark, in the Riverland up north of Adelaide and like most towns up that way; it sits on the bank of the Murray. Home to less than 4000, full of old history, new projects and a thriving farming culture, this little riverside town proved to be an exceptional stopover on a multi-leg air charter in our Beechcraft King Air B200.
Route: Adelaide International Airport > Loxton > Shepparton > Albury > Canberra > Sydney
Duration: 2 Days
Aircraft: Beechcraft King Air B200
Things to do in Loxton
- Visit the ‘The Village’ – Historic Loxton
This little historic village has been recreated down on the river (off the main street), and takes you back to a time where the weekly newspaper was 10c and kids played in the road. Around town you’ll find all kinds of interesting buildings too!
- Explore the Murray River
On our flight from Adelaide to Loxton, we flew North over the winding Murray River which cut a path through the canola fields and farms of the Riverland. Easily seen from 30,000ft, we couldn’t help but wonder about the adventures had on the Murray River in centuries past. Loxton has a public use jetty right out the front of the main street, and we hear the fishing is unbelievable!
- Go for a Run/Walk
Also off the main street, you’ll find a track that runs to the left down the bank of the Murray. Follow it past the historic village and discover a new boardwalk which winds around the riverbank and through the caravan park to the unassuming ‘Knowledge Tree’. Don’t worry if you miss the thee, the best part of the run is further on; where the track runs uphill to a rocky cliff right on the river. The sunset reflecting off the red dirt and view from above the trees made it an absolute standout.
Places to stay in Loxton
We’ve been operating charter flights to Loxton for a few years now, and stayed everywhere there is to stay in town. This year, we chose to stay at the brand new Loxton Courthouse Apartments, in their ‘Judges Chambers’ studio apartment. Built inside what used to be the Loxton Courthouse, a luxury renovation has transformed this place into accommodation what would be given rave reviews in inner-Sydney or Melbourne! Each unit is self contained (more on that later), private and has its own outdoor area with BBQ. There’s Bluetooth speakers, fast WiFi and each of the units was stylishly decorated (and smelled great!). They were so far above and beyond the average motel/hotel room found in country towns, so we can’t recommend the Loxton Courthouse Apartments enough!
Places to Eat in Loxton
- Like most country towns, there’s a bakery, a café, a pub and a few burger joints.
- The Loxton Hotel sits on the top of the hill and has a great outdoor area looking down to the river, and does the best ‘dine-out’ meal in town. For large groups, it’s the only way to go (and where our guests chose to have their dinner).
- With so few choices to eat out, we found a Woolworths between the Loxton Courthouse Apartments and the Loxton Hotel. Each apartment has its own kitchen, so we chose to go shopping for our own ingredients!
Flights to Loxton Airport
- No airlines currently operate into Loxton Airport, so the only option is to choose a private charter flight. With two dirt runways around 1000m long, the best option is either the Beechcraft King Air, or Pilatus PC12 which carry up to 11 passengers. Both are turboprop aircraft which offer enhanced safety, and flights from Adelaide are only 40 minutes (we took the scenic route), and a touch over an hour from Melbourne.
Need a charter to Loxton, or any of the surrounding airports in the Riverland, SA? (Renmark, Mildura, Murray Bridge)
Give the team a call at Navair for a quote on flying with one of our experienced pilots.