A thriving regional hub in the heart of NSW, Dubbo is an airport we fly into regularly, even though it’s supported by several major airlines. This trip saw us stop in to Dubbo for the day, on a multi leg charter throughout NSW for a farming and machinery to complete their annual stocktake.
The town is backed by a strong agriculture and farming heritage, so you’ll find plenty of authentic Australian experiences here; as we found out!
Route: Sydney (Bankstown Airport) > Dubbo > Corowa > Adelaide > Sydney
Duration: 3 Days
Aircraft: Beechcraft King Air B200
Things to do in Dubbo
- Visit the Zoo – You can’t stop in a Dubbo without a trip to Taronga Western Plains Zoo, it’s an aussie icon! Operated by the world famous Taronga Zoo (who do the big one in Sydney), you’ll find an amazing collection of exhibits featuring both Australian animals and internationals, like elephants, rhinos, giraffes, and our favourite, the Tassie Devil. You’ll need at least a day to see everything, or even better – stay the night in one of their luxury self contained cabins.
- Tour the Dubbo Gaol – They say it’s where ‘history comes to life’, and the Heritage Listed Dubbo Gaol (pronounced the same as ‘jail’) is right up there with Alcatraz in the spooky department. Night tours of the cell block are available with some of the locals who put on a great show, weaving the Gaols history into a bit of a theatrical show. Outside in the yard, there’s a great little bar and at random times throughout the year, pop up events and live music.
- Explore the rows at ‘The Book Connection’- We do a lot of reading while waiting for passengers on charter flights, so when we walked through the doors of The Book Connection on Macquarie Street in Dubbo, our eyes lit up. The shelves continue through room after room, lined with both new and used books of all genres. Dave behind the counter led us way down the back into what they call the ‘Men’s shed’, full of book titles that blokes will love, from aviation (why we went) to building, guns, boats and sports.
- Go for a Run/Walk along the Lachlan – Just out of the CBD is the Lachlan River, which winds its way through Dubbo and down into the Murray Darling Basin through Cowra and Lake Cargelligo. The council at Dubbo have put some serious money into developing some of the best tracks in the state. Start at the CBD and run down past the soccor fields to find the track, which crisscrosses the river, and runs right up behind the plains of the Taronga Zoo.
Places to stay in Dubbo
- Zoofari at the Zoo. For one of the best experiences you’ll find out there, you can stay at the Zoo in one of three accommodation options. At the budget end, you can stay in one of their permanent tents, or for a little more luxury, one of the cabins which are right in the middle of the plains. There’s nothing better than waking up to see the animals right outside your window, with the spectacular mist covered plains stretching out for kilometers in the early morning.
- A classic country hotel, with classy décor and a great restaurant. Cattlemans is our go-to place to stay, and we recommend it to our passengers for the reliable service, authentic feel and great location.
Places to Eat in Dubbo
- Press – The locals say ‘Press’ is named because it’s a converted 1900’s era house sandwiched between two massive industrial buildings, but we’re not quite sure if it’s true. What we do know, is that Press make the best coffee in Dubbo, with an extensive range of breakfast and lunch options using organic and locally grown produce. It’s our first stop each and every time we land the private jet in Dubbo.
Flights to Dubbo Airport
- You can fly on the airlines to Dubbo, but options are limited now JetGo have ceased operations. Q-Link and Rex both fly in, but only once (perhaps twice) a day.
- A better option, is to jump on board with us! We operate charter flights to Dubbo in both jet and turboprop aircraft, any day of the week, at whatever time you need to go. While you do your business, see whoever you need to see, or in last weeks case, count your inventory, we’ll wait around for you and be ready to fly you home at a moments notice. Or, we can continue on to your next destination.
Need a charter to Dubbo, or any of the surrounding airports in Regional NSW? (Cowra, Bourke, Brewarrina, Wellington) Give the team a call at Navair for a quote on flying with one of our experienced pilots.